Much has been written about how to make problem solving more engaging for students. Many students think of problem solving as a sheet full of word problems.
Complete list of activities available on this site that are tagged as Problem Solving Activities.
My take on problem solving was written on my blog. I’m wordy. It took me 7 posts.
- Learning Through Problem Solving Defined
- Learning Through Problem Solving Is Not…
- Learning Through Problem Solving Examples
- What Students Learn With This Method
- Description Of A Full Day of Problem Solving – Morning Classes
- Description Of A Full Day of Problem Solving – Afternoon Classes
Fawn Nguyen describes her approach to problem solving more succinctly in two posts. And hers is probably better.
Dan Meyer’s approach has gained a lot of traction in the math world. He describes his “Three Acts Of A Mathematical Story” on his blog. For fans of these visual stories, they are being collected and described by some kind of USA outcome numbering here.