I first posted this one on my blog in this form.
I framed it as a problem solving activity at the time, and it still is, but I have tagged it an introductory activity here.
- Play the first 2:08 of this video
- Ask the students what they wonder about. They will likely begin to speculate what might have happened to the hikers.
- Ask them to think of a theory on their own, and write it down. This is not a fleshed out theory, but just a quick first impression.
- Ask them what further information they require. Much of the information in the video will have gone by pretty quickly, so you can give them this handout.
- Have the students work with a partner to come up with a theory. Ask them to decide what information is important, and what is not as relevant.
- Have students share their theories with each other.
- Play the rest of the video.